Australia is home to many reputable Contract Research Organisations (CROs), carrying out approximately 1,000 new clinical trials started in Australia each year by both local and global pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device companies. Our report 'Clinical Trials in Australia: the economic profile and competitive position of the sector', is a comprehensive overview of the entire clinical trials landscape in Australia, giving insight into our strengths and areas to improve.
Australia is an attractive environment for innovation, investment and collaboration in R&D and clinical trials, and offers:
- A fast approvals process for clinical trials
- Directly transferable trial protocols for other jurisdictions
- Socio-political stability
- World-class healthcare and medical research infrastructure
- Strong networks and collaboration between research centres, universities, community health networks and hospitals
- An educated and qualified workforce
- An internationally respected approval system for new drugs and devices
- Strong IP procedures
- Generous tax incentives for R&D
- A culturally diverse population
Australia is home to 22 of the world’s top 400 universities, and CSIRO ranks in the top one-per-cent of the world’s scientific institutions in 14 of 22 fields. Health and medical research is one of the strongest research disciplines in Australia, with over 60-per-cent of research outputs ranked as ‘above’ or ‘well above world standard’. Medical research is responsible for a quarter of all patents granted and almost half of all research commercialisation income achieved in 2015-16 in Australia.
Australia is also well-known for its world class Cooperative Research Centres (CRCs) and medical precincts, establishing agile collaborative partnerships between sector participants to create translational research and development of market-ready, clinically tested medtech innovations.
Australian clinical data and results are accepted by international regulatory agencies, following the highest level of ISO good clinical practice standards. View Austrade’s ‘Clinical Trials Capability Report’ for more information about investment and trial opportunities within Australia.
Visit the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) for more information and victrials.com.au for information on clinical trials in Victoria.