20 August 2020
Yesterday, in a joint statement, Prime Minister, Hon. Scott Morrison MP, Minister for Industry, Science and Technology Hon. Karen Andrews MP and Minister for Health Hon. Greg Hunt MP outlined Australia’s COVID-19 Vaccine and Treatment Strategy and announced the formation of a high level COVID-19 Vaccines and Treatments for Australia - Science and Industry Technical Advisory Group.
MTPConnect Chair Sue MacLeman has been appointed to the group of medical and industry experts which will be led by the Secretary of the Department of Health, Professor Brendan Murphy, and will provide advice to the Australian Government on the purchasing and manufacturing of COVID-19 vaccines and treatments.
To support the Australian Government to make decisions about purchasing and manufacture of COVID-19 vaccines and treatments the COVID-19 Vaccines and Treatments for Australia – Science and Industry Technical Advisory Group will provide advice on:
- The scientific validity of research into safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccine candidates
- Potential purchase of COVID-19 vaccine candidates for Australia
- The scientific validity of research into new therapeutics for COVID-19, including tests and treatments
- Potential purchase of COVID-19 therapeutics for Australia
- The viability of options for manufacturing and packaging COVID-19 vaccines and treatments in Australia
- Distribution and logistics associated with COVID-19 vaccine candidates
- Other technical matters related to COVID-19 vaccines and treatments, as requested by the Secretary, Department of Health or the Australian Government Chief Medical Officer.
Sue MacLeman explained that collaboration between government, science, health and industry on the nation’s COVID-19 response has never been more important.
“I’m honoured to be appointed to this Advisory Group as we come together to further respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and protect the health of Australians,” said Ms MacLeman.
“The MTP sector is on the front line for research, diagnosis, management, prevention and treatment of infectious diseases and has a critical role to play in driving Australia’s COVID-19 response.
“There is an enormous opportunity for the Australian medical research community and our advanced manufacturing sector to be involved in the delivery of vaccines and treatments."
Read more about Australia's COVID-19 Vaccine and Treatments Strategy.