Global Victoria is the State Government of Victoria's trade facilitation and promotion agency. It's network of 23 international trade and investment offices is the largest than any other state or territory in the country and exists to work with Victorian and global partners to support the development and commercialization of new breakthrough products and treatments.
Melbourne, Victoria – The Place for your MedTech business in Australia
Victoria, Australia is at the forefront of MedTech.
Based mainly out of the city of Melbourne, Victoria's MedTech sector forms part of one of the world’s leading life science clusters.
Victoria has a low-risk, high-quality and competitive business environment with a rich legacy of commercial success, advanced manufacturing expertise, key R&D infrastructure, attracting and maintaining a talented and a highly skilled workforce.
Victoria’s expertise in biotechnology, medical technologies and pharmaceuticals has been supported by a favourable regulatory and R&D environment, consistently backed by strong government investment and is a highly sought-after destination by global companies.
Victoria is Australia’s largest world leading biomedical ecosystem
- Melbourne’s life science sector is supported by 22 globally recognised medical research institutes
- Seven major teaching hospital networks and nine universities including two top 20 universities - University of Melbourne ranked #11 and Monash University ranked #1 globally for Pharmacy and Pharmaceuticals.
- Victoria is the largest recipient of public medical research funding (45 per cent) winning almost 50 per cent of contestable grants and significant private funding.
- The Victorian Government has invested over A$15B in health and biomedical research as part of A$140B in the health system for well over a decade.
Victoria is globally recognised for its technology, engineering and design expertise:
- Victorian design and engineering companies are recognised for their excellence in translating ideas into cutting-edge solutions specific to medtech and health industries.
- Victoria is growing capabilities in AI, 3D manufacturing and new and innovative health and medical products.
Victoria is a sophisticated hub for pharmaceutical manufacturing in Australia:
- Melbourne is home to more than 22 pharmaceutical manufacturers producing a variety of products for international markets using advanced technologies.
- Victoria is Australia’s leading pharmaceutical exporter with over 60 per cent of Australia’s pharmaceutical exports coming from Victoria.
- Proven history of supporting pharma manufacturing innovation, with more on the horizon.
Victoria is a premier location for the conduct of clinical trials with its combination of leading medical professionals, world class facilities, strong regulatory system and government support.
- Victoria has over 35 per cent of the national dedicated phase1 facility beds in Australia – making it a national leader.
- Victoria has run the most clinical trials in Australia and has the most active trials (1,500) in Australia currently, with the most active trials across Phases 1-3.
Victoria has a highly collaborative, globally connected medtech and life sciences community.
- Victoria has well established co-located hubs and strong scientific and industry networks with the most intra-city research partnerships in Australia.
- Victoria’s University sector has more industry collaborations than any other state and has long established global partnerships.
The State Government of Victoria has a well-established strategy to help companies become part of the global supply chain in knowledge creation, research, product development and commercialisation.
Find out more at Global Victoria.
Contact: Carolin McCaffrey | Director, Investment and Trade | Global Victoria | Government of Victoria, Australia | firstname.lastname@example.org