MTPConnect is a not-for-profit organisation which aims to accelerate the rate of growth of the medical technologies, biotechnologies and pharmaceuticals sector to achieve greater commercialisation and establish Australia as an Asia-Pacific hub for MTP companies. It was formed in November 2015 as part of the Federal Government’s $250 million Industry Growth Centres Initiative.
MTPConnect is an independent and trusted voice, calling for change to support the sector. It fosters collaboration and competition, aggregates existing knowledge and shares it with the broader sector. It also jointly funds projects that address the Sector Growth Priorities and the constraints and gaps identified in the sector.
The MTPConnect Head Office is located at the New Horizons Building at Monash University, co-located with CSIRO and industry. There are also key hubs at the University of Sydney’s Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Technology and the Medical Device Research Institute at Flinders University at Tonsley in Adelaide.
The MTPConnect Board is led by Dr Bronwyn Evans and includes other respected industry leaders. First year activities include:
- Developing a 10 year strategic plan for the sector through the MTP Sector Competitiveness Plan.
- Laying the foundations for improving sector collaboration and the regulatory environment by mapping initiatives that are aimed at improving the sector’s competitiveness and productivity.
- Consolidating sector information and services into one website to identify industry assistance programmes, grants and opportunities to help address industry challenges.
- Establishing a hub to support skills sharing and development.
- Working with relevant Cooperative Research Centres so they can be the research engines for the Growth Centre.
- Working with the Australian Research Council and their latest funding applicants to establish links between their programmes and the growth centre initiatives.