BMTH Round Four Expressions of Interest Is Closed
Delivered by MTPConnect, the Australian Government's $45 million BioMedTech Horizons program, is an Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) initiative to support innovative collaborative health technologies, drive discoveries towards proof-of-concept and commercialisation that address key health challenges as well as maximise entrepreneurship and idea potential.
The specific intention of BMTH4 is to support the development of the Australian medical device sector by supporting critical research and to create opportunities to locally manufacture precommercial prototypes of Australian based medical devices that are entering human clinical trials.
Key details of BMTH4:
- Four partnership opportunities of $800K each will be available.
- Lead applicants are required to provide a minimum of 1:1 matched cash co-contribution.
- Project activities must be completed in a maximum project term of 12 months.
- The lead applicant must be an Australian based SME and must control or have the legal right to access and use the patent(s), trademarks or other IP necessary to undertake the proposed activities.
- There is no specific disease focus area, however the applicant will be expected to demonstrate how, through the usage of their device, the health and wellbeing of Australians will be improved with the potential to reduce the disease burden
- The medical device to be developed will be a physical device that is a smart monitoring device, diagnostic, personalised implant or a bionics device with a minimum classification of Class IIa as per TGA guidelines.
It is expected that:
- Medical device prototypes to be developed and tested will be at least entering Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 5 (Prototype tested in intended environment) and mature one or two levels through the course of the project.
- Prototype devices to be developed will be manufactured in Australia.
- Upon completion of the project activities the prototype device will have been used in its intended environment.
Proposals that deliver outcomes aligned with other national initiatives such as the Modern Manufacturing Initiative and the Medical Products Roadmap are encouraged.
Please carefully read the Guidelines below for further information about eligibility and the application process. All submissions must be made through SmartyGrants, which is available in the Guidelines.
For BMTH4 the Innovation Maturity Level (IML) is to be used as a reference. They are developed by CIMIT and are designed for medical technology innovations (see Guidelines document Appendix A, below).
The application process will be conducted in a two-stage process: an expression of interest (EOI) followed by an invitation-only full application. The list of key dates is included in the BMTH4 Guidelines and key dates for the EOI stage are:
- 24 March 2021: EOI portal opens for applications
- 19 April 2021 at 5pm AEST: EOI portal closes
Contact the BioMedTech Horizons team at BMTH4@mtpconnect.org.au for more information.
The BMTH program currently funds 41 projects and investments from the program are focused on supporting proof-of-concept to commercial development of biomedical and medical technologies.
MTPConnect will maintain a FAQ document that will be accessible from this page while the round is open. We encourage you to return here for updates. To ensure transparency, the FAQ document will include responses to all questions received via this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view the BMTH projects selected for Rounds 1, 2 & 3, expand the menu on the right-hand side.